Minneapolis St Paul International Airport Case Study
MSP welcomes approximately 35 million passengers each year. Our Escape Lounge is the airport’s first common-use lounge, available to all MSP passengers for a fee.
To furnish the lounge, we worked closely with selected partners to source furniture suitable for our Escape Lounge specifications from US-based manufacturers. Sustainable materials were selected where possible.
The Premium Lounge for every passenger
Opened in December 2015 on the mezzanine level of Terminal 1-Lindberg, our flagship lounge in the US provides the airport’s passengers with an opportunity to begin their travel in the most enjoyable and relaxing way possible. Our Escape Lounge staff pride themselves on their excellent attention to detail and customer service and are more than happy to help with any additional services a traveler may require. The lounge features a 50-foot-long picture window with fabulous views of the airfield and Minneapolis skyline, original art by local artists and locally sourced stylish furnishings.
The food on offer has been chosen for its quality and freshness, with local specialities appearing on the bespoke menu. Our 2016 Charlie award winning in-lounge chef, JD Fratzke of St Paul’s Saint Dinette restaurant, regularly changes the menu to reflect the seasons, and local cheeses and craft beers ensure a regional feel. What’s more, the space includes a quiet corner with iPads and individual seating, flight information displays, and everything guests have come to expect of an Escape Lounge: complimentary food and drink, free high speed Wi-Fi, USB and charging outlets and a selection of newspapers and magazines.
Connecting with the local community
Artwork in the lounge was sourced via the Minneapolis Airport Arts and Culture Program. The objective of this program is to provide international exposure for the local and regional arts community through rotating exhibits, performing arts and commissioned installations, such as the Escape Lounge.
A number of artists were short-listed and selected works for the lounge were chosen from Vance Gellert’s current collection. The artwork within the lounge depicts the local Minnesota landscapes through a variety of black and white imagery, which sits beautifully against the vibrant finishes of the lounge.
Since acquiring London Stansted in February 2013, the MAG approach to parking has had a significant impact on income.
Integral to the success of MAG at London Stansted Airport is the strategic introduction of new parking products, such as the launch of JetParks. This low cost competitor brand makes us more competitive against the off-airport market, and drives modal shift through our low cost product offerings.
Maximising Transaction Value
We successfully identified opportunities in the lucrative one and two-day markets, where price increases could be sustained without detrimental impact on demand.
• 1-2 day market since acquisition: Average YoY income growth of 61% and ATV growth of 40%.
• Reduced price differential between the low cost and premium car parks, to encourage product upgrades.
• Day-of-the-week pricing initiatives aimed at capitalizing on the business market.
• Removal of low cost products in price inelastic markets.
Market Pentration Pricing
Tactical introduction of price entry point products to stimulate demand in the eight-plus day leisure market.
Opening up opportunities to attract customers currently using alternate modes of transport to the airport.
• 8 day + market since acquisition: Average YoY income growth of 25% and booking growth of 72%.
• Discounted products for longer lead-time bookings, aimed at increasing share of the leisure based advanced booking market.
The $122 million terminal transformation project at London Stansted has not only transformed the passenger experience, but also increased revenue.
• Doubled retail airside space, with 100% footfall for all retailers.
• New security area opened in late 2013 – additional lanes & dedicated channels.
• 25,000 sq ft walk through Duty Free store opened in July 2014.
• 70% more seating, free wifi, charging outlets & flight information screens.